The key objective to playing rummy is winning the game with valid sets and sequences. Even if a player has grouped his cards but they are not in a valid format, he will not be able to win the game. Click here for brief on what is valid and invalid declaration in rummy. Here are the steps to make a valid declaration of your rummy hand.
- Arrange your 13 cards in sets and sequences. It is mandatory to have a pure sequence to declare the game.
- A pure sequence is a group of 3 or more cards in consecutive order of the same suit, without a wild card or Joker. If you are using a Joker or wild card to make a sequence, then it is counted as an impure sequence.
- Before making a valid declaration, the player should have a pure sequence, and an impure sequence. The remaining cards can be arranged in sets.
- Other than the sequences, the player also needs to make sets. A set is a group of cards of the same value but different suits.
- Once you have 1 pure sequence, 1 impure sequence and remaining sets in order, you can declare and win the game.
Points to remember
Here are some things that can lead to an invalid declaration:
- If you are making sequences but both of them are impure, i.e. your sequences use Joker or wild card.
- When you form the sets, you cannot have two cards of the same suit in a group. So the below example is of an invalid set.
Keep the following points in mind and you will be able to make a valid declaration and win the rummy game. Learn how to play rummy game by using above mentioned tips of declaration.